Sunday 27 October 2013

Black Lace Ava

It would seem that I am in love with Victory Patterns at the moment ... first it was Lola, then Chloe 1 and Chloe 2 and now Ava.
Black Ava
My daughter loves wearing dresses (yay!) and had worn the death out of a dress we had bought for Christmas last year.   Ava is a very similar style and suits her hourglass figure like a glove.  However, teenagers are so fickle that choosing the right fabric was real marathon but after a trip to The Fabric Warehouse we walked out with a medium weight polytester which had a really nice drape to it.  The lace we had left over from a top I'd made for her back in May and that had already got the tick of approval.

Untitled

I made up a muslin first to check fit, cutting out a size 12.  A small list of adjustments were required, but nothing major:
  • Lengthened bodice by 1.5". 
  • Moved shoulder seam back by 6/8" at neckline and 3/8" at shoulder seam. 
  • Removed 1/2" from each side seam under the arm and tapered to the existing side seam at waist.
It was important for her that the dress bodice be body hugging.  Once the fashion fabric was cut and sewn I double checked fit before closing side seams and putting in the zipper.  Just as well because the fashion fabric had more ease than the muslin which required another 1/2" to be removed from the side seams.

The dress is not lined, which is okay by her.  The sweetheart neckline where the base fabric meets the lace is bound, as recommended by the pattern - that shit was fiddly, but I got there!

Black Ava Sep13

  Untitled

Black Ava Sep13

I underlined the sleeve caps with black chiffon from the stash, to provide them with a bit of stability.  I basted the sleeve caps in before binding the sleeve opening.  I bought some black cotton poplin and made my own bias binding for neck/sleeve openings and bound seems.  The polyester was just too heavy for that purpose.

The side zipper was inserted by hand using a pick stitch. Oh how I love it!

Black Ava Sep13

Overall the dress is her all time new fav and got her first official outing to the Beyonce concert recently.

A few more photos on my Flickr -->

22 comments:

  1. Oh my graciousness! This is so beautiful Sandra. I can see how she loves it. What a lucky daughter. It looks terrific on her. The lace panels at the shoulders just make the whole dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catja - the lace is really nice to work with as well, bold but delicate :-) I still have a wee bit left for another something.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely dress. I like the lace detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea - the joy of having daughters, I get to make pretty things that I might not wear myself :)

      Delete
  3. Ok I've looked at the Ava a few times and thought "could I pull that off" - but looking at this version I totally think I could. It looks just beautiful on your daughter. I love the lace too. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trees :) The dress is a beautiful shape but not absolutely body hugging which gives it the comfy factor. You should totally make one.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful job, the perfect pretty/funky/classy/hip for a teen, or for that mtter, any of us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maryanne. I'm definitely going to pass all those descriptors on, as she reluctantly let me take photos - true teenager!

      Delete
  5. Oh it is just gorgeous! The lace is absolutely gorgeous! Your daughter looks very stylish and elegant in the dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. If only I could get her to think about other colours now for her second one :-)

      Delete
  6. It's beautiful. I love that the lace isn't super girlie, the shapes match the sweetheart neckline :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I did um and ah about where to cut the lace :)

      Delete
  7. My heart skipped a beat when I saw that lace. It is gorgeous and you've made the most of it on this flattering dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooohhhhh, this. This is stunning. STUNNING. I'm so very very in love with this in a kind of yearning way. It's beautiful in and of itself and it looks a million bucks on your daughter. Very very very well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Victory Patterns are on my favourite list for sure :)

      Delete
  9. I love that lace detailing - reveals just enough while remaining classy - great job, and she looks in it. She should be smiling, but that's teens for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. She has such a beautiful smile and is always taking selfies, but photos for my blog well that's another story! Teens!!

      Delete
  10. Great dress for your daughter, Sandra! Love the lace inset and overall lines of the dress. I've yet to sew Victory patterns but need to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I agree the lines of this dress are just lovely.

      Delete
  11. Love the lace. What a wonderful mum you are making such amazing clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don't mind making them so long as they are appreciated :-)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...