Sunday 4 August 2013

Hummingbird Cake

Well I'm finally here to share my Hummingbird after the sneek peek in my last post about the Cake sew-a-long.
The shape of the Hummingbird really appealed to me, although I have never really been a peplum fan!  After stalking the Hummingbird in the blogisphere I thought the nature of the knit fabric would mean that it would sit rather nicely rather than flaring out.  I don't like the thought of accentuating my hips!

I found this rather yummy striped merino at The Fabric Store sale.  As always it is a dream fabric to work with :)  I really love the way it fells, wears and falls.


As with my Tiramisu I am between size 30 and 35.  To achieve a snug fit I chose to make up the size 30.   Before starting I knew that I wanted to change neckline and the sleeves.  I lengthen the sleeve by 1" and took 1/4" off at each shoulder to give a wider look to the neck.  Perfect if you ask me :-)


Cake Patterns provide for fit checks at different stages during construction.  Whilst I did do a fit check before I attached the peplum, the waist it is still about 1/2" longer that it should be.  I've tried to hide this by styling with a belt :)  


I think this would work perfectly if the waist to my skirt was more body hugging - as you can probably see there is a wee shelf just under the belt - that's the top of the skirt :-(

I love the skirt shape and style, but it could have done with another 1/4" taken off the waist and the band being twice as deep.   I'm pretty sure that this is a skirt I WILL make again.


The fabric for the skirt was from my stash and I lined it with some simple acetate.   I've got no idea what type of fabric it is or where I got it from.

I inserted an invisible zip in the skirt with my new machine foot - why didn't I have one of these before?????


I Love my Hummingbird and can't wait for the weather to get a little warmer so I can wear it without a jacket or cardi.

14 comments:

  1. I was on the fence re peplum tops as well having worn them last time round. Yours is really pretty. I find fitting knits frustrating because they all vary so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am on a 'knits' frenzy lately, determined to overcome the unknown.

      Delete
  2. Love your Hummingbird outfit! Looks great on you and really like peplum tops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - most definitely growing on me!

      Delete
  3. I think you found the perfect weight knit for this (scrummy merino too, I didn't realise!) and I think that's the key for this top to look great. The whole outfit is fabulous, bring on summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish merino was cheaper and I think I would sew merino everything!!!

      Delete
  4. Oh it looks so good! I love the colours of the top :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it's a bit outside my norm, but I like :)

      Delete
  5. That is a lovely outfit and you look good on it:)
    I am planning to make a peplum top but always delayed with other projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very pretty! I love the colours. And merino, yum!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...