Tuesday 20 August 2013

Little Red Hood

I have been eyeing up the Papercut Patterns for a wee while and the other day I gave in.  I was looking for a cardie or similar to wear with my new hummingbird.


I headed off to The Fabric Store to their 40% sale, looking for some merino!  But what would you know the only fabric that wasn't on sale was the one I liked!  So what the hell, I got it anyway along with the Circle Top pattern.

IMG_2277

The red is as rich in real life as it looks in the photos. 

IMG_2278

It is such a simple concept ... it is literally a full circle, which is cut on the fold.  A hole is cut for the sleeves which are inset and sit on the top of my shoulder - I was so surprised at how the sleeves don't fall off my shoulders.

It is a real mission, or maybe just takes some getting use to, working out how to wear the top of the circle.  It is easy to wear caped over my head.  I've tried rolling it into a collar or draping it back like a big collar.

IMG_2256

I made a size XS. The only alteration I made was to the cuffs - bringing the width in by 5/8" on both sides to make them fitted.  I like a long sleeve but I hate it when cuffs are loose and baggy!  The depth of the cuffs are awesome at 6".

IMG_2257

The band around the entire edge of the circle is applied with the bias tape principle and is real easy to apply.  It is most definitely one of the garments that isn't meant to have the perfect placement.  It is easy to snug into it!  I particularly love the hood and is easy to wear over a dress or throw on for extra warmth.

IMG_2255

This is my first Papercut Pattern but it most definitely won't be the last - I've got my eye on a few others but I need to get through my current 'to do' first!

14 comments:

  1. That's such a cute sweater! I love the color and it looks so warm and comfy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colour is brighter than my usual colour palette, but I'm lovin it.

      Delete
  2. It looks so fun to wear! And gotta love the red :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this on you, it looks great:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm not sure why I've gravitated towards red lately, but going with it anyway.

      Delete
  4. Wow this is cool and I love the colour. Perfect. I love it with the hood up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun pattern! I love this color on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, this is the brightest garment in my wardrobe!

      Delete
  6. Very clever and cool and wow, love that colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, such a simple idea (circle with sleeves) but it's an awesome cardi.

      Delete
  7. I like both your circle tops very much. I have just bought the pattern and was wondering if you thought that the arm holes, and hence the sleeves, could be displaced slightly towards the top of the cardigan so as to have more length at the front, without the top falling off the shoulders. Any thoughts on the matter of having a longer front you may have had would be useful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, that might be a trial and error kinda thing. I think the top is very well balanced, but if you were going to alter you would have to be careful that the distance between the arm holes across the back is correct. You could potentially move arm holes toward the top of the circle but not too far as the balance might be lost. Good luck :-)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...